Jenny La Fleur
tweaking the stays a bit - Jenny La Fleur
adventures in costuming
tweaking the stays a bit

I didn’t want to start the process of pattern tracing or fabric cutting today so I decided I would work on tweaking my stays instead. I've been putting it off for a while now... revisiting costumes is not something I really enjoy. :P

I adore my green stays but they are not without their issues. They are my first pair after all. :> They are a bit small, particularly at the hips and the sleeves don’t want to stay on. The most painful issue is also the easies to fix though - the top horizontal bone digs unmercifully into my arm if I hold my arms in a forward position. It can get very uncomfortable after a while. It’s an easy fix, just some snipping of the glorious cable ties and comfort is restored! :>

I’m hoping that will fixing the fit will fix the sleeves at the same time, if not I’ll worry about them later… as in after the Belmont tea. I decided to add the needed girth to the side, less fuss, less fabric (although I have tons of fabric still) and no new eyelets to sew. :> I unpicked the stays sections in about 3 minutes – may I just say I love this way of constructing corsets - then cut a little side inset toile out of 4 layers of old sheeting, quilted the layers together for stability and sewed everything up again before trying it on.

The stays were so much more comfortable (duh!) but the little toile does need to be tweaked a bit for a snugger fit. I decided I’d had enough for the day and left it at that though. I think my busy weekend finally caught up with me because I’m wiped. I’ve just finished dinner and think I’ll spend the rest of the day vegging in front of Mrs. Pacman, nibbling on See’s. I can’t think of a better way to end my weekend! :>