I knew it, I just knew it. If the stays went together fairly painlessly then the dress must be a nightmare. Costuming is never simple. *sigh*
I tried on my latest robe l’anglaise toile this morning and it’s full of issues. This is what, toile number 7?!! Not to mention after a class, endless book and online research. *whimper* It’s so frustrating, with every problem I try to fix two more pop up. And the most frustrating thing is it’s the same wretched issues over and over again. I fix the shoulder and the side seam whacks out. I fix the side seam and the neckline is whacked. I fix the neckline and the shoulder and side seam aren’t right again. For the love of…!!!! And I haven't even gotten to dratted sleeves. Oh joy.
The amazing thing is I’m still motivated and want to work on this project. This time last year I would have given up in disgust. I must be maturing, or crazier - take your pick. I’m just a little stumped as to how to proceed. Obviously draping toile after toile is not working, perhaps my skills are just not up to the task yet. I so wanted to make this pattern myself though!
I think I’m going to swallow my pride and try using a pattern. I’m going to go through our pattern stash but I’ll probably end up sizing up the pattern from Arnold. It’s exactly the dress I want (except for the diagonal stripe in front thing which I’m willing to give into at this point). Using the pattern is not going to be any less work, as it must be sized up and adapted to my modern body but I’m hoping that coming at this style from a different angle will help.
This can’t be this hard, people make 18th century frocks all the time. I must admit I’m feeling very stupid at the moment.