Toileing the red stripe has turned out to be more fiddly than I hoped it would be. Looking at the two original toiles I didn’t think they were that different, apart from small details and the technique in which they had been draped. I discovered just how wrong I was when I tried to modify the striped front based on the class front. I couldn’t figure out how to line up the pieces to compare and make changes as there was no reference between them.
When I put the class toile on Narcissa then the striped toile on top of that, it became apparent just how different the two patterns really are. I took some pics of the toiles on top of each other but inadvertently deleted them. *grinds teeth* I’ll re-take them tomorrow I suppose.
My next cunning plan was to simply use the back from the class toile with the front of the striped toile, modifying the side seam and armhole so they would match. I would then fix the other little things later. That plan was a complete bust as well. The resulting toile did not fit at all and I couldn’t fix it. I have no idea what the issue is but it would not cooperate no matter how I pulled, smoothed or played with the fabric.
So I gave up and began to drape a new bodice front from scratch. I figured I’d already done that a few times now so I knew how that would work. I now have a rough draft of the bodice that looks pretty good. I think I’m going to fiddle with the back curve a bit more before I try cleaning it up anymore though. I had also altered the class back a bit, adding slightly more curve to the side seam and such. I think the curve should be even more dramatic and Bridget (who is home at the moment) agrees.
I’ll work a bit on that tonight but I don’t want to stay up too late. As much as I want to keep working my recovering from the flu body just isn’t up to it yet. I already feel like I've walked 5 miles today when I've only had a slow day of toiles. I keep forgetting I'm still sickly! :P