I have been super bad about updating this week. Do forgive me. In the holiday madness something eventually must give. It’s been a case of either work on projects or update the LJ. The calendar’s looming deadlines have me slightly freaked out right now so working on the projects seemed the better way to go…
Bridget and I have made good progress on the banners in the past few days. I finished “cleaning up” the blown up copies on Saturday. I added the correct borders and seam allowances before using them to cut out the fabric and lining.
We were originally going to use the old method of punching holes along the design and using chalk or a marker to transfer the pattern onto the fabric. When we came to test this method however, we weren’t happy with the results. The most accurate, if probably the most time consuming method, we could come up with was to make a stencil of the paper pattern.
We knew that once the paper pattern was cut it would lose a lot of it’s stability - not a good thing considering that we have to use each pattern section twice. So we cut our stencil out of poster board. Bridget did all the meticulous cutting with an exacto knife. She first cut out the paper pattern, scoring the poster board underneath. She then cut the poster board layer separately. I’m so glad I didn’t have to do that part!! :> She finished the stencil cutting this morning, so they are ready to go now.
I tested the paint and fabric yesterday. My test piece shows no signs of flaking or anything so I’m going to proceed without a textile medium. Painting this puppy is going to be a seriously meticulous and time consuming process. Not that I’m surprised or anything. Every single step in this project has been that way. “Simple, easy little project” – ah huh!!
Having said all that, I can’t wait to see the results. I think they will be really stunning and we will find all the effort has been worthwhile.
I started work on the tassels on Sunday. I got one tassel almost complete at my babysitting job that evening. The little girls I was watching were quite fascinated with the process. :> The second tassel took a bit more effort than the first. I really don’t know what my problem was. I had to redo three of them twice, and one of them three times. I kept dropping them or Nefret wanted to play with them or something. I think I spent all most as much time picking beads up from the floor as I did beading. I was really beginning to wonder if the darned thing was cursed! :>
I did mange to finish both tassels though and I took a series of pics to show how I made them. I’ll post those on my site sometime this month. It was really easy; I basically followed the way the original tassels (from the Bombay outlet) had been put together.
Today I finished up the sewing on the kimono and attached the tassels. I ended up taking the back darts in a bit more in the end. I just liked the more fitted feel. The facing was surprisingly easy to attach. I ironed each edge under, then ironed the belt in half (widthwise). I then pinned the facing to the neckline of the kimono, so that the neck was in between the two folded edges. I top stitched everything in place. The bottom hem was rather sloppily machined (like anyone will ever notice) and the tassels were sewn on by hand.
So, the kimono is essentially done, except for some hooks and eyes. And the beaded embellishment of course, but that is a long term project. I’m really happy with it, although the ties are too long to leave just hanging in front. I wish I could have the option of criss-crossing or leaving them hanging but I have to make a choice. For now I’m leaving them as is (I really don’t feel like taking the tassels I just put on off again) but I may shorten them eventually.