Despite my shipment of shiny beads arriving on Saturday I'm still not feeling the Peacock beading vibe so I’ve been working on one of the unreasonably long list of costumes I think I’m going to get done for CosCon. *rolls eyes*
After the fun I had wearing my B&W bustle gown earlier this year I decided I needed more bustle in my life. In particular I needed a lightweight outfit that I wouldn't die in during a hot/humid summer event, which the B&W does NOT qualify for. (I will never line a bodice in twill again no matter what the pattern says!)
So the Summer Bustle Dress was born. I'm using a lightweight silk taffeta aqua check for the skirt and a sunny yellow cotton lawn for the top. I could have made the whole thing out of the silk but frankly cotton is cooler so the top had to be cotton. The bodice will be based on TV410 (1873 Polonaise).
My main inspiration comes from a fashion plate found on Ebay. I’m going to simplify the decoration on the bottom of the skirt a bit but I’m determined to have rows and rows of bias cut ruffles down there. I’ve been dying for a taffeta skirt with bias-cut ruffles ever since I put some on a 1860s commission last year. *be still my beating heart* I'm found lots of polonaise tops with ruffled underskirts too which is nice.
I not really in the mood to deal with mock-ups so I went straight to the skirt. I’m using the same basic skirt from my B&W (based on TV201 70s Underskirt) 'cause why mess with a good thing. The skirt has been seamed, the top and bottom edges zig-zagged (this check frays like heck!). I’ve also cut out and prepped the waistband. Next up the hem and some ruffles!