Greetings from the farm! Last night's sewing session was fun, despite some fitting issues. It is so much easier to have fitting issues with a sewing buddy in the room though! :> Loren and I were both working on Spencers, both using the same pattern no less - when does that happen?!
I tried on my new Regency stays for the first time. Thats when I discovered that I'd put the shoulder straps on backwards. That will teach me to forget to mark notches on my patterns! The other issue with the stays is that some how I made the bust gussests too big. They stick out at the top in an annoying way. It's a really tiny amount of fabric that is doing it though so it's not really worth taking the gussets out and redoing the whole thing so I'm going to cheat and just run some gathering stitches at the bust. I was originaly going to run a drawstring in the top binding (which is reasonably period) but on further reflection it's just the bust that needs help and that is the easier way to go. If I hate it I can always redo the gussets later.
The fitting of the Spencer toile went about as well. *makes face* For everything I like about the pattern there is something I don't like. *sigh* Loren helped me fix the major fitting problems but it's going to need major work to get it close to my inspirations. So now I'm trying to decide if I want to comprimise and make it up as is so I have a Spencer by next week or if I should go to the hassle of changing half dozen things so it looks like what I had in my head. I'm still pondering.