First thanks so much for all your support and kind words this week, both about my effigy stays *blushes*, my jacket and my decision not to wear it tomorrow. *hugs* So what is next on my costuming agenda? I have lots of yummy ideas running rampant in my costuming brain right now but the one I'm most excited to actually work on is...
My blue "Eyre" dress! I am *so* jazzed about this project. Before my fabric.com order arrived, I was planning on tweaking my original Poe dress for Poe's Birthday in Jan. When I made the order I was hoping for a royal or electric blue, something kinda obnoxious, for a different project. However after some mental adjustment however I found I loved the moody midnight blue that I received. It immediately screamed Victorian to me and after staring at it for a couple more days it quite clearly said 'I need to be 1840s'.
So I started looking through my files and came across this 1837-1839 gown from the Tasha Tudor sale. It's a lovely transitional gown from the frilly cupcake 1830s to the more severe and streamlined 1840s and the perfect vehicle to show off my slightly moody shot fabric. It's one of those rare instances in historical garments where I love everything about it and don't want to change a thing. That never happens!
As I started researching I was pleased to discover that between Waugh, Arnold and Hunnisett I have pattern guides for all the various elements of this frock, except for the cross-over front which I would drape anyway. There is also a very similar frock in Bradfield's Costume in Detail that has been very helpful in plotting out the construction and figuring out details. CID's frock also shows a really lovely chemisette that I want to copy as well.
So all the pieces are slipping into place easily for this project... like it was meant to be. The only thing that is freaking me out a bit is the piping, having never done it before. I'm hoping it will be one of those things like corset making or gussets that seem overwhelming until you get the hang of it then it's no worries.
Before I can start working on this in earnest though I have to make a new Victorian corset. So I pulled out the Laughing Moon pattern that has been lanugishing my my stash last night and cut out a toile.
So far I'm really liking the pattern! Not only are the instructions fabulous but all the pieces for each garment in the pattern are on their own sheet. No chopping up multiple sheets to get all your pieces - impressive!
Before I can work on either of those projects I have a CW bonnet commission that is due soon. I started it before the women's retreat, actually having the buckram/wire base all finished the week before. I had a fitting with my client two days before the retreat and it wasn’t quite the shape she had in mind. So rather than trying to remake what I had (ripping out stitches in buckram is just not my idea of fun) I decided to start again from scratch. So I cut out everything and took the bonnet fixings with me to the retreat. Thanks to my responsibilities at the retreat and another commission I had to finish up while I was there, I only got the buckram base about half way done. Bummer.
I couldn't take the project with me to CA (due to the need for a sewing machine) so it has been on hold until today. I'm hoping I can knock out the main construction and be left with only trimming by the end of the day. Then maybe I can squeak some work out on *my* projects tonight without guilt.
After the CW bonnet is done I probably should work on a new Regency dress and finish up my 1804 stays for S's tea on the 14th but the Eyre dress is singing a very persuasive and sweet song right now...