Luckily the Jacket played pretty nice. The front originally fit really funky, it was a solid 2" too small, despite the back being just about right and the front being the right length and proportion everywhere else. There was also some funkiness at the top of the side seam. I cut the gussets to just below the waist, following koshka_the_cat's example of cutting until the bottom fit, which just happened to be exactly where the cutting line ended on the pattern. *grins*
My next toile was an improvement, having added 2.5" to the front edge and pinned in the gussets. I tweaked the top of the side seam a lot more and went on to a third toile (which I forgot to take pics of) where I double checked everything I'd done and added a sleeve toile to the mix.
I decided instead of starting from scratch I would start with my 18th century shaped long sleeve pattern. I had a bit of a panic moment when I remembered the 18th century sleeve was shaped but a quick look at all my scaled patterns and extant garment images and I found that most of the jacket sleeves were shaped to some degree. Yay!
The sleeve actually looked pretty good, most of the work being needed at the sleeve head to fit the jacket armhole, but my brain had enough for the day so I decided to call it a day and come back to it in the morning when I was fresh.
Which brings us to today. I'm hoping one more sleeve toile and then I can cut this baby out. *crossing fingers I have enough of my chosen fabric to do this*