I spent this evening working on the stays. I cut the outer fabric, sewed the seams, inserted the boning and basted the edges to keep it all in. In other words, I have the stays to the handwork stage. Next up are the eyelets and whip-stitching the side seams down. Oh yes a finial fitting and the binding, when that arrives. (My Wooded Hamlet order has been on backorder. mreh)
I have two “tips” this evening:
1 – when your stays involve tabs, cut only the lining layer’s tabs. Sew the lining & outer layers together, baste around the tabs, Then
cut the outer tabs (using the lining as your template). I did that this second time around and it was much easier to baste the tabs with one piece uncut, as they didn’t want to move so much. It came out much neater too.
2 – If your stays involve horizontal boning, wait to insert is until all other machine stitching is complete. Trying to machine baste the back panels, with the horizontal in place was a serious pain in the butt. If I hadn’t already planned to attach all the binding by hand, tonight would have convinced me to do so. Wrestling with an independently minded pair of stays while trying to sew around a tabbed bottom is an experience I hope to avoid repeating. Not my idea of fun.
You know I think I’ll skip starting the eyelets tonight. I’m anxious to get them done so I can try the stays on but I’m ready to hit the sack. I think this is the thing I hate the most about corset making. You get to the point where it looks like a corset but you can’t try it on until you sew the eyelets. Suddenly unbidden thoughts of a deformed and ugly finished product flood one’s mind.
I’m trying not to be too stressed but I am concerned about the fit of these wretched stays. I noticed a few things as I was sewing tonight that are a cause for concern. I have little fear of changing/altering patterns but I’m not good at anticipating how those changes affect other areas of the garment. That gets me into trouble a lot. I do not
want to redo any part of these stays. One re-do is okay, a little fudging is fine but I’ve reached my limit on this project. I’m ready to move on. **crosses fingers real tight* This time had better work or I may have to steal a pair of stays from somewhere. :>