Umm... no sewing the last few days to speak of. I've been busy with headaches, work, family projects and other distractions of the everyday life sort. I'm still waiting for my replacment reed to arrive, hopefully today or tomorrow. In the meantime I thought I would post pics of my effigy stays progress since I haven't done that yet.
My ghetto toile, made from two layers of old sheets with temporary lacing strips and steel boning held on with masking tape. I prefer back lacing stays to I changed my stays accordingly. The front is seamed (not cut on the fold) and I put a slight curve in the center front to echo the more natural shaping I'm seeing in some of the 1560-1570 Venetian gowns. I used my Diderot stays
as a guide.
The stays in progress. I used a heavy raspberry cotton twill that I have loads of (yes, you've seen it here before in interlinings etc). Because I'm not feeling particularly particular about these stays (never am the first time I make a new style), I cheated and used a sharpie marker to transfer the marks for the tabs etc. Turns out the fabric is so dark you don't really notice the marks anyway unless you are really looking for them.
I have some leftover baby pink bias tape from the Candy Stays
that I'm going to use on these stays so I decided to sew the channels with baby pink thread as well. Contrasting thread seems to be period correct and it makes sewing, especially at night, so much easier on the eyes. Besides, it's purrdy! I've keeping the boning layout simple, following the Tudor Tailor pattern and the Arnold effigy stays article in Costume
as my guide.
Here are the stays as is, in all their partially boned glory. I'm really eager to get it boned, eyeleted and laced up to see if it fits as well as I think it does.