I just tried on my effigy stays toile and I LOVE it. I forgot to take pics (bad blogger!) so you'll just have to trust me when I say it's a really nice shape.
I made the toile out of two layers of old sheets with temporary lacing strips and steel boning held on with masking tape. It was very getto looking but it told me what I needed to know. I need to make a few tweaks but really not too many. Mostly I just need to fix a neckline that is too high, shoulder straps that are too long and adjust the back panel to better fit my small-bust-to-big-hip-ratio. I think I'm going to go ahead and cut out the real thing based on my new tweaks. (Aren't you proud of me Katherine - it's close enough so I'm cutting fabric!)
The Tudor Tailor book now officially rocks.