Dangit, dangit, DANGIT!! Why are these things always so complicated?
I'm working on my new 1804 stays (my old pair having given out at Costume Con) and having a hard time reconciling the pattern in my files with the finished result of my old stays. I LOVE my old stays - they have served me well in fit, comfort and look - so I don't want to deviate from the old pair at all. Just remake them.
Thing is I've tweaked the stays several times over the years, trimming things here & there and even re-making the back panels at one point when they got too big. Did I transfer those changes to my master pattern? No. Did I take good notes of the changes? No. Is this pattern I have in my file even the finial master pattern? I'm beginning to wonder.
Add to that the fact that I made these stays 6 years ago, before I got into good habits of note taking, master pattern tracing and that it was my first use of a scaled pattern and I had NO idea what I was doing... it's amazing the stays came out so well and lasted so long really. Trying to go back 6 years and figure out my own assumptions and sewing methods (since I didn't write them down) is a logistical nightmare.
I do have the old stays to reference but that almost makes it harder. Thanks to gussets and trying to factor in the stretch of the fabric in 6 years... it's making my head hurt. I have a summer cold right now so that probably won't take much but still... Why does this have to be so dang hard!