Jenny La Fleur (jennylafleur) wrote,
Jenny La Fleur

the circus petticoat

First off I have to say I love you guys! *hugs* So I-Want-Candy froofy it is for the Pimpernel! But more on that later...

Yesterday I focused on the under petticoat for the Queen of the Night. I figured A) that I should make my mistakes on the under petticoat and B) since no one would see it I should have fun with the color. So I went with a blinding yellow that is a close match to my stay binding. Circus anyone? :>

My first step was to pad out my dress form a bit and pin on a piece of black bias tape that was my finished waist measurement. I perfected the size and such of the side pleats first, adding a slit in the side so I can get into my pockets.

Once I got that down I pleated the front half of the finial skirt, pinning the seaming of the side panels. (To get them to not pucker I had to shimmy one side of the side pleated section up a bit, it wasn’t even at the waist!).

To get the front to fall nicely I then had to shimmy the front up and mark where the bias tape "waist" was. I then took it off the dress form; making sure to leave a 1/4th section of the waist with pleats pinned and trimmed the waist according to my markings. I repeated the trimming of my panels of fabric, using my trimmed off scraps as a guide.

I then seamed all the pieces together, cut slits in the sides and hemmed those up. Then I started pleating the waist, using the pinned section as my guide. Once the waist was pleated to the correct size I popped it back on the dress form just to make sure everything still worked. It did! I basted the waist and set it aside until I can go by more fabric for the waistband.

I decided not to continue on with the black over petticoat, since it was evening and I wasn’t in the mood to work on black in the dark, so I turned my attention to the pimpernel bodice. I got as far as laying out my master patterns and realizing that I had enough fabric to re-cut the entire bodice (sans sleeves, I’ll have to make due with the old). Then I started looking at options, got overwhelmed and posted my cry for help.

This am, boosted by the overwhelming response that I should go I-Want-Candy froofy I started work on the updated Pimpernel patterns. I was changing enough that I decided to do a quick toile. I have NO room for error with my fabric; this is it for my pile of leftover scraps, so it has to be right the first time. I also need to double check the armhole since I have to use the old sleeves. Unless I started piecing fabric that is...

Now I'm off to run some errands including a trip to Jo-Anns for notions and necessities. It will only be the 3rd trip this week. Bah!
Tags: z:archive:18th:queen.of.the.night, z:pending:18th:pimpernel

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened