Zee pannier, in all their cramped glory!
The petticoat is coming along. Thanks to koshka_the_cat
, some stealth videos I took of her at CoCo and look through my extant garment files I think I'm getting there. At least it's looking like Katherine's so I can't be too far off. Katherine you are my hero and seriously I owe you one! *hugs*
It's poufing on the very outside pleat in a way that is annoying me. I'm going to try doing the other side of the petticoat a little differently, hiking the end up further on the pannier (I think it's down a little low) and adding pleats to the top seam and see if that helps. Thing is I'm wondering if it's just one of those 18th century things though. Like the poufing at the back of a 18th century sleeve that is actually correct.
Ideally I don't want pleats in the seam, I like the look of the flat top pannier. However in reviewing all my books and images I noticed that all the flat skirt top that I like so much are on the square-ish English pannier, not the sloping French like the one I just made. Huh. So maybe not.
Anyway I think my mock-up has the right amount of fabric for the skirt (3.5 panels of 45") so I estimated the amount I need (5.5 yd), measured the black velveteen in the stash and there is enough for my skirt - yay! I might even be able to squeeze out the bodice, we'll see. If not there is another piece in the stash, it’s just a different dye lot. I don’t think I care. Yay for over-buying fabric for pirate costumes! :>
Tags: z:archive:18th:pannier, z:archive:18th:queen.of.the.night