My Redingote is continuing to not go well. At all.
I don't know what is wrong with me and it's horribly frustrating. I fix one thing and three more problems show up. It's like that monster in Greek mythogy... whatever the name is... For all my effort so far all I have is a completely unusable set of toiles. To continue I will need to start again from scratch.
So after a finial fitting where I didn't know if I wanted to cry or throw things, I had a long talk with Mom (who was kindly helping with the fitting) and Bridget (via phone) and have decided for the sake of mental health to shelve the project. I just can't deal with it at the moment.
I want to believe I have the ability to do this but apparently I need lots of time to figure it out. I knew this outfit was going to be out of my comfort zone but not this brutal. I can't do it in 3 weeks - is just too much going on with work, family, church and making B something too. The part of me that is stubborn wants to dig my heels in and keep trying but I know if I try I'll only be miserable, unhappy with the results and possibly in a straight jacket at the end of it.
So I spent most of my Easter day going through files & books trying to come up with something else to wear. It took a little time but I now have a slight glimmer of excitement about this stupid event once again. I've decided to make a perriot jacket and matching petticoat along the lines of this:
Not quite "riding attire" but it will pass for a traveling costume. I'm using a lovely avocado green and chocolate brown stripe I had ear-marked for a Spencer. My 18th century need is greater at the moment... pics to come...