I made some good progress on the pearl dress toile. I hate to call it a toile, it came out so pretty. The fabric is a lovely lemony yellow poly-something murth
gave me a while back. It wasn’t something I could use for re-enacting (it's a little too slubby) and it was close to the weight and drape of my pearl silk so I decided to use it as a mock-up for this. I really took my time on this, using proper stitch lentghs and such, not the useal quick-fire sloppiness my toiles are. So I'm thinking of finishing it and selling it on ebay or something - waste not, want not! :>
I, per usual, ignored the directions on the pattern and did it my own way. The biggest change I made to the pattern itself was to change the front panel to one piece (shoulder to floor). The bodice is lined and a drawstring channel is sewn in at the waist. I left off the separate bodice lining the pattern features (Bridget found it rather annoying to deal with) and simply added a length of twill tape as a waist stay in front.
I like it and Mom assures me I don't look hideous and fat in this style so I'm going to go ahead with the Pearl in the same pattern. The pearl silk is a little thinner and "crisper" so it should look even better than this. I'm only wondering if the bottom of the skirt is full enough...
I'll take better pics of the altered construction along the way. Overall I like this style, I should be able to make it up quickly and I like the fact I can take it on and off by myself. I'm really digging the drawstrings and lack of nit-picky fitting. It's been a very nice break from the Redingote.