I really should have more restraint!!!
I got the bug to work on my bee dress today so *almost* like a good little girl I pulled out my stays first to see what repairs needed to be done before I started on dress toiles.
The stays fit okay (so weird feeling after the 1770s stays I’ve been wearing so much lately!), just a few tweaks, some of which I could honestly wear the stays without. I tried I really did… I was only going to replace the boning on the sides that was too long and shorten the shoulder straps so they actually fit. Suddenly I found myself unpicking the back seams so I can make the back edges even (the gap is much smaller at the top than the bottom) and then scheming to rip off all the ugly binding and replace it and finially pulling out the ivory bridal satin from the stash and wondering if I could recover the stays without too much handwork.
I need professional help I really do!! Tell me it doesn’t matter that my stays are an ugly unbleached twill and the binding is too wide to be pretty. Shake some sense into me and pound into my head the work involved in hand-stitching each of those tiny rows of hemp cording, so it looks pretty on the outside. Whatever you do don’t let me seriously think about redoing the back panels just to replace the eyelets B ripped out while lacing me in the first time I wore it, dispite already have repaired them (oh the drama of eyelets!!). Threaten me with no sewing for a month for trying to justify my reasoning with "well it's easier than re-making a whole new pair, with all that cording".
Really, it’s not like I don’t already have a million projects I don’t really have time for as it is. It's a sickness I tell you!! *pounds head on desk* So. Much. Professional. Help.