After talking over this year's project to do list with a friend yesterday I got the bug to be working on something last night. :> I tidied up the toiles for the lining and kimono top, cleaning up edges and actually sewing everything together. So changes I’ve made to the S&S pattern so far are to lengthen the sleeve, remove the darts, recut the neckline to be wider and with a deeper “V” in back and to bring up the curve of the armhole for a closer fit.
I then turned my attention to the upper bodice. I looked at the Maude pattern in Arnold again (actually that is what inspired the change in the kimono armholes, they are quite high in that pattern :>) and decided to try draping the section again with that pattern as my base. So I enlarged it in the computer, printed it out, laid out the pages, placed toile fabric over it and traced the shape out with a marker. You can see how scientific I am about these things. :>
I ran gathering stitches down the center front and the center back edges and then draped the piece on Narcissa until I was happy. I ended up trimming quite a bit of it away, both top and bottom, to get the shape I wanted. You can see above the shape of the finished piece; it’s quite different from the original. I ended up with just a slight gathering which I think looks nice. I may take another whack at it to see if I can have a bodice without gathers or darts. The corset may alter my shape enough to get way with it (like on my Rohan gown). I don’t know, the gathers are nice and my fabric drapes so beautifully. :>
I started to drape the skirt lining as well but decided to go to bed before too long. I think before I mess with that any more I’ll try using the Butterick pattern as my base first. I think it will help things to go quicker. I want to move on to that draped overskirt! :>