I’ve finished up the back (bodice) so I’m going to call it a night. Yay!
I finished fitting the toile (ooh it looks so much better!), made a master pattern in interfacing and re-cut the lining. I decided to start with the back section, so I first sewed up the back lining. I added a length of Rigiline down the center back this time. I thought it was a good idea since my fabric has a bit of body but without any stiffness. So far it’s working well.
I then cut a length of fabric for the back and began pleating. I used my red stripe as a guide, creating three pleats (one towards the center and two facing out). I did all the pleating flat on a board (rather than trying to pleat on my own back or Narcissa) – it’s so much easier this way and I haven’t noticed a problem with the shape not being right on the shoulders. Once it was all pinned, I hand stitched the pleats to the lining. Once I was done I basted along the edge of the lining piece and then cut the fabric to shape. I roughly cut the extra away – I’ll probably trim some away when I get to the skirt.
I’m really happy with what I’ve accomplished today. If I keep up this pace I will definitely get this done in time, and with sleep involved. :> So tomorrow it’s on to the rest of the bodice…