Today I finished the main construction of the Elvish dress. For some reason it came out a little snug in the bust, or I should say, the upper back. The toile fit perfectly so I’m not sure how that happened. It’s wearable but it’s bugging my perfectionist nature. :> Hopefully the dress will photograph better once it has sleeves and the train is weighted and hemmed. I'm planning to interline the hem with flannel, felt or some such thing so it will "drag" better.
The length of sea foam green chiffon is one I found in my “fancy fabric stash” the other day. It’s really lovely stuff I found on a bargain table, shot with black and mint threads. I bought it with a Titanic dress (tunic layer) in mind but when I laid it with the blue elvish fabrics, I fell in love. Bridget really liked it too so I’m going to add some chiffon to the inside of the bottom sleeve, creating two layers there. I hope it will add just a bit more “ooph” to the design and movement to the sleeves. So I have to cut those pieces out before I can hem the lower sleeve edges. (The two fabrics will be hemmed separately but I want to do it all at one time)
Bridget started the embellishment of the upper sleeves today and she is really whaling on the project so far. Her design is based on the flowering tree of Gondor that can be found on the ROTK soundtrack. She scanned the CD, traced it and then scanned it back in before re-sizing it. She removed some of the flowers, but the design is pretty much the same as the original. She is using a mixture of silver lined bugles, seed beads and sliver threads. Pretty, pretty!