So here is the second mini mock-up in all it’s glory. I’m liking the less full sides a lot but I miss the interest at the back. One thing mini mockups have proved is that I’m not going to be able to use the patterns “as is” for B. I could use them as a basis for draping a pattern but I’m thinking of saving myself some hassle just using the Simplicity Jack Sparrow pattern instead. I was looking at it online yesterday and really it doesn’t look to bad. I surfed the internet and found some coats made of that pattern. With a few adjustments it looks pretty spiffy.
I have to pop into Hancock’s this afternoon so I’ll take a look at the pattern while I’m there, to see how it’s laid out. Not that it’s going to be on sale for $2 any time soon according to all my flyers. *grinds teeth* I can wait a bit on the coat now though, the stays are the big thing at the moment.
Speaking of stays, B has finally figured out what she wants to do on the stomacher. She was originally going to embroider the whole thing (we went through lots of designs for that idea!) but when we found this embroidered organza at Jo-Anns she fell in love. I think she really fell in love with idea of less work as much as the fabric. :> So this organza will be over the black silk and then re-embellished with silver thread and colored crystal beads. It should be pretty.
And yes we have lace! I found it at Jo-Anns of all places (will wonders never cease), which was cool as we got to use a coupon on it. This will be the inner cuff of the chemise. I think B is going to add some black crystals or rhinestones to it as well. We saw that done on one of the costumes from Stage Beauty at FIDM. It was subtle but rather elegant.
Next step will be to mock up the stays. I need to resize and print the pattern out again. The last one I did came out way too long. Not sure how I managed to be that off… :>