I spent a bit of today on the pirate frock. I taped together the sized up patterns for the stays and the mini coat toiles but only got the coats cut out. The toile cutting was turning my brain to mush so I turned my attention to assembling a mini coat.
The patterns I have for the coat are pretty primitive - no instructions, barely a gridded size and only a guess of what the coat result will look like. So I thought the easiest thing would be to make a mini mock-up of each to test out the shapes and construction techniques. Less fabric and no fitting worries always works for me! :>
I started on the fuller of the two coats and you can see the results above. Isn’t it *cute*!! *grin* It’s not finished yet (I decided I’d had enough for the day) but one can already get a good idea of the shape and style. It’s an interesting little coat but not quite what we are going for I think. The skirt sides are way too full - more Three Musketeers than Captain Hook. :> I have to admit I really like the back though, very pretty lines there. I think I’ll move on to the next pattern and see what that looks like before bothering to finish up this one though.
I suspect the finial coat will be somewhere in between these two patterns but we’ll see.