Progress has been made on the Flying robe/wrap! Finally got around to working on it again yesterday. It's been sitting in a pile on my ironing board since my last post. Opps!
So first I basted down the velvet band along the neckline. Last time I made this kimono I added long darts in the back to take up the excess fabric there (silly Butterick!), this time I opted for a box pleat at the top of the center back.
When I tried it on it was hard not to feel like the Stay Puft Marshmallow woman
. I know it's because there is nothing to weigh down the silk taffeta and it's not exactly a fitted garment so there is a lot to pouf. Sewing down the velvet bands should solve the problem but still... it took some serious faith to believe that this was going to turn into the pretty garment I want in the end. :>
Stay-Puft issues aside I decided that I did need some kind of fitting - loose full garments are just not cute on curvy girls. So I experimented with adding a belt, pleats and drafting out some of the fullness in the front. The pictures are crappy but it was much better - believe me! While I had it on Mom marked the hem for me.
With all the walking around and moving the garment I had a lot of the pins and markings fall out of the front (opps!) so rather than put it back on as is and try to fit it again I decided to work on the velvet bands on the sleeves and trim the hem so I could double check those when I tried it on again.
The sleeve bands went fine, if slow. This is velvet after all. I almost got one sleeve finished before my bed sang it's siren song...