This was an interesting one as it was a project I was finishing up for another gal, I didn't have any contact with the finial recipient, which was strange and fun all at the same time. :> A little altering (original hem was too short), a little fixing, all the fastenings and a ridiculous amount of ruffles. No pattern making or fitting which was nice!
Per usual I grossly underestimated how much time it would take to do everything but looking at it all finished on my dressform this morning, I felt an enormous sense of accomplishment. It really turned out well and I'm really proud of my work on it.
The ruffles were by far the biggest part of the task. There were 30 yards of fabric ruffled for the skirt and sleeves - whew! I finished both edges with a small zig-zag stitch (for a less bulky hem etc) so that means 60 yards of zig-zagging plus the actual hemming and gathering. Good Lord! I don't even want to think about how much black thread I went through. Mom came up with the brilliant idea of using dinner plates as my guide for the wavy design - it worked like a charm!
koshka_the_cat tipped me off to gathering the ruffles by cord, which made my life SO much easier. She had also suggested cutting the ruffles on the bias, which sadly I didn't have enough yardage for. I compromised and did the sleeve ruffles on the bias though and totally fell in love with silk taffeta on the bias. It behaved and laid so wonderfully! Yummy!
I also got a chance to better perfect and practice my piping and dog-leg closure skills. Oh and that face-forward-face-back pleat thing that was so fashionable in the 1860s. I think I'm getting pretty good at it now!
All that said I'm super glad it's finished and I can move on with my life and CosCol plans. It will be some time before I can face black taffeta again. Luckily all my black CosCol stuff is already done! :>