I started work on my bias ruffles tonight. Mostly played around with strips of fabric on my frock to try and figure out the proportions of width and placement. What can I say - I'm a visual person! :>
Work begins in earnest! Oh my gosh, I'd forgotten how slippery this rayon was. I am so insane to be doing this - and on the bias no less. I wish the contrast of diagonal stripes didn't look so cool.
I thought the sleeves would be a good place to start so I began with just one strip, to work out how I would sew them and how full each ruffle should be. Testing, testing... I decided to cheat a little on the hemming by zig-zaging the edges, folding a narrow hem and stitching. The top of the ruffles I likewise finished the edge with a zig-zag, that is it. The top ruffles I'll cover with ribbon but the rest I will leave as is... I think. I've stitched them down with a wide zig-zag so they look fine. I'm trying to decide if I want to be anal about it. At the moment I'm thinking not.
So some ribbon and the sleeves are done - yay! I really like the way they look. The skirt really needs ruffles now to balance it. Why oh why did I have to make my skirt so full! *sob* But it must be done! *sighs dramatically*
The nice thing about these ruffles are they are pretty brainless. No fitting – yay! Just r-e-a-l-l-y monotonous. And finicky.