The first sleeve toile, from the S&S pattern. I am very disappointed. Not only did it not fit together well at the seams but it didn't fit well in the armhole, nor did it fit me. I have large upper arms but still, I expected more (or should I say less fiddling) with a purchased pattern.
That whole gather at the top/back to ease into the armhole (the pattern notes that it won’t look gathered, once ironed out) was total crap. It didn’t fit, doesn’t look right and ended up quite gathered. Ick!
For my second attempt I ditched the S&S sleeve in favor of the sleeve pattern I used on my Bee Robe
(based on Hunnisett). Much better! I'm still not entirely pleased with the fit in the armhole area but the sleeve felt much better – no cutting off of the circulation.
During the second fitting I noticed that the armhole doesn't fit very well. Its not on the top of my shoulder, but actually slightly off the shoulder. I'm also not digging the way it's pulling right in front at the bust line. It's a fitting problem I frequently have in commercial patterns though.
I marked it to cut down the shoulder/armhole a bit but looking at pictures of my bee robe I'm thinking I may just ditch the S&S lining as well and create a lining based on the robe, draping the cross-over pieces to fit. Why try to tweak the S&S lining to fit/look more like the robe when I can just use the robe instead. It fits, it's comfy and the sleeve is cut for that armhole.
Sometimes I can be quite cunning really. :>
Tags: z:archive:19th:regency:cross-over, z:pending:19th:regency:wm